Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Finding Vivian Maier At A Design Film Festival 2014


Last week I got the chance to watch the documentary film Finding Vivian Maier at the local A Design Film Festival 2014. ADFF was conceived in 2010 as a film festival dedicated to architecture, fashion, photography, street art, motion graphics, technology and the subcultures of design.

More after the jump.

Design Film Festival 2014 film tickets
I got to watch 3 films on the same day, in sequence shown on the picture above. Yeah it's more like a movie marathon with about 30 minutes recess between each film. I've always wanted to watch it since its official theatrical release in the US in late March this year, and yes finally ADFF brought it in.

In the film, fans and more people got to know more about this mysterious nanny who took many great street photographs. Below are some brief autobiographical news reporting about her life and her photography by Chicago Tonight.


Lately a shocking sad news broke out. News about the legal battle to pull Vivian Maier's work from the public eye for years. According to a report in the New York Times, a former photographer and current lawyer by the name of David C. Deal is trying to put a stop to it in the name of copyright law. The entire story can be read here.

I was fortunate enough to get to watch her autobiography film and own 2 Vivian Maier photography books, namely Vivian Maier: Street Photographer and Vivian Maier: Out of the Shadows.



Sure there are many more unseen work of Vivian Maier that are yet to be exhibited and published, but for now we just have to be contented to have seen those available ones.

Last but not least, it's always inspiring to see Vivian's work. In the past years, I've written a few blogs about her and how her work inspired me to pick up my TLR camera and hit the streets to take street photographs. I'm in the midst of scanning all those TLR streets negatives and definitely post them here after some serious editing and post-processing. Well, I'll try my utmost best to get them ready to show you readers.

If you like reading my blogs, do subscribe to get new updates via email. I greatly appreciate for your time and support. Hope you guys have a great day! So take along your camera wherever you go and keep shooting. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment