Thursday, April 16, 2020

Street Panorama – Ubin Artist At Work

Ubin Artist, Terence Si Peng Tan
© 2018 Martin Liew Photography
It's been almost 4 months since my last street photograph posted here. So many things had happened during this time especially the outbreak of Coronavirus in January 2020. Currently it's a lockdown situation in Singapore with heavy restrictions to stay at home and to wear face mask whenever heading out to buy daily essentials. Social distancing is closely observed and supervised by the Government assigned ambassadors and the Singapore Police Force.

While staying safe at home, I took time looking through my photo archives and found that I have some night and street photographs which I've never shown before on my blogs. I could have probably missed out or forgotten. Anyway here's one of them. A portrait photograph I made back in June 2018, with a HORIZON PERFEKT swing lens panorama camera on Kodak Portra 800.

Here's how I came by to make this photograph. One weekend, my friend and I went to Pulau Ubin for some event which I could not remember what it was. After alighting at the island pier, we walked towards the main village Wayang Stage area. We noticed this bespectacled man with a thick black beard was painting a portrait of an old man. I lifted my panorama camera and took a frame before he turned around and smiled at me. He took notice on my "weird" camera and a light conversation started. I asked about the old man in his painting and he told us the old man was the previous village chief, the late Mr Lim Chye Joo.

The black bearded painter is Terence Tan, the Ubin Artist. I asked for his kind permission to make another picture of him at work, and he gladly approved. So that was how this photograph came about.

We continued our conversation about his work and life living on the small island before his friend came along to greet him. Without further ado, I made my departure. If you're interested in Terence's painting work, click here to his Facebook page.

Photo Info:
HORIZON PERFEKT | 28mm | settings not recorded | Kodak Portra 800, rated at 500 | Developed and scanned at Triple-D Mini Lab | Further post-processed in Photoshop