Friday, April 24, 2020

Street Panorama – Remember Me as a Time of Day

Remember Me as a Time of Day
© 2009 Martin Liew Photography
First of all, I apologise for the heavy moire patterns or Newton's Rings in this panorama photograph. What is Newton's Rings? Based on Wikipedia explanation, Newton's Rings is a phenomenon in which an interference pattern is created by the reflection of light between two surfaces: a spherical surface and an adjacent touching flat surface. It is named after Isaac Newton, who investigated the effect in his 1704 treatise Opticks. So it could be the thin film surface, similar to a 0.15mm PVC sheet material, or the emulsion side of the film that caused such interference pattern during the scanning process.

I've searched online on how to fix this issue and have tried all methods but all in vain. Photograph was made in 2009 and negatives was scanned circa 2014. I've just got it post-processed in Photoshop today. Yes I would have done a re-scan which I will, but for now I'm eager to show it to you all.

A little brief story behind this photograph. It's the same multi-storey car park with spiral drive way (I've shown a couple of panorama photographs in my previous blog posts). This part of the spiral drive way leads towards the open space roof terrace. I found this vantage spot for this composition where the light and shadow created such nice contrast upon the otherwise symmetrical spiral structure. It looks like a portal in the sunny blue sky.

I don't know what title suits this photograph hence "Untitled". Until I do a re-scan and re-editing, I might have a good title for it.


Photo Info:
HORIZON PERFEKT | 28mm | settings not recorded | Kodak Tri-X 400 Film developed in Kodak D76 1:1 dilution for 9 minutes | Negatives scanned on EPSON V700 | Post-processed in Photoshop